Show HN: Runnaroo – A new web search engine https://ift.tt/32AFXhG

Show HN: Runnaroo – A new web search engine In the sprit of releasing to the public early, I would like to share a search engine/portal I have been building in my spare time: https://ift.tt/2T4emlT Why: I started to not be able to easily tell the different between ads and organic search results in other search engines (even on DuckDuckGo), and I have been disappointed with recent UI changes in a lot of the major search engines. My main guiding rule when adding features has been to ask, "is it better for the user?" Important to know: I still believe Google currently returns the most relevant web results, so like StartPage I use Google's index as the base of the web results. Some interesting features: Deep Searching - The inclusion of relevant results from different vertical specific search engines depending on the search query. For example, if a user searches for 'python jobs NY', results from Indeed.com will be pulled in. The long term plan is to connect into the best vertical information sources for each type of query. Quick Directs - Automatic redirects for a limited number of commonly searched terms (facebook, google, etc.). This is similar to the Google "Feeling Lucky" button, but done by default. I found that most of the searches I did in Google were navigational. It's simple, but surprisingly has been the thing to resonate with normal (non-technical) users. Strict Search - Optional selection to force all the search terms in the query to be present in the web results. Full URL paths - The full URL path of the result is available on the SERP under a toggle. Privacy - The site doesn't do any tracking. There will most likely be a need to put some things in place at some point to prevent abuse, but user search data will never be used for ad tracking. The number of things I still have to add to the site is incredibly long, but I have gotten to the point where I have switched over to using it full time as my default search engine. February 26, 2020 at 02:18PM

Komentáře

Oblíbené příspěvky