Show HN: Bvckup 2 – Fast File Replicator for Windows https://ift.tt/2FZ2NFr

Show HN: Bvckup 2 – Fast File Replicator for Windows This is a long-running project that started as the proverbial need to scratch my own itch and then somehow evolved into a full-time job of the past 6 years. Link: https://bvckup2.com I thought I'd do a Show HN for two reasons. 1. I obviously want to show my baby to those who haven't seen it. Its primary purpose is to do very fast file replication. If you are familiar with "robocopy /mir" - same idea, but on steroids. Lots of them. It can be used for both mirroring and archiving backups, among other things. It is light, very small and it is really quite fast. Half of the development time was sunk into the UI/UX design, so there's that too. Existing version is a result of 5 years of a _very_ careful evolution, focusing more on perfecting existing features rather than adding new ones. Said No to more feature requests than I can remember. The blog captures some of that in a form of development screenshots, sketches and what not [1]. 2. Secondly, I wanted to add an anecdotal data point that the desktop software development is still very much an option despite of all the nasty rumors. The demand for well-written Windows software is still there. The biggest takeaway has been that there is LOTS of people, on Windows, that recognize software quality as a feature. They acknowledge and compliment it, and they are actively looking for it. That's the niche. If you are thinking of trying the Windows ISV path, I'd aim there. -- By the way of introduction - I'm in my mid 40s. I've been a programmer for my entire life, mostly on the sysdev side of things - firewalls, network stacks, VPNs, etc. - which is one of the reasons I still like things to be as small and as fast as possible. I'm also the original author of Hamachi VPN, there's a chance you might've heard of it. Any thoughts or comments on the program itself, would appreciate to hear them. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them if I can as well. -- [1] https://bvckup2.com/wip July 7, 2019 at 07:45PM

Komentáře

Oblíbené příspěvky